Here’s how to get an alert if your AWS Bill exceeds a certain amount.
After you’ve enabled Billing Alerts:
1. change Region to us-east-1 (N. Virginia)
2. CloudWatch > Alarms > Create Alarm
3. Select Metric > Billing > Total Estimated Charge
4. Tick USD | EstimatedCharges
5. click Select Metric
6. Enter value in
7. pick from
send a notification to: (I use a List called
NotifyMe with my email address). It seems to take a while for the drop down to respond.
8. click Show Advanced Option (at bottom) then update Name, Description
Note: you cannot change the Name after you’ve created an Alarm. The only way to do so is to delete your Alarm and start again.
9. click Create Alarm
- go create alarms up to 100x your current billing in suitable increments – one day you’ll hit them and you want to be warned!